Day 1: ARRIVAL IN TRIESTE
Arrival at the airport of Trieste. Transfer to the city center. Visit of the city: the main square – Piazza Unitá d’ Italia, Via della Catedrale, and the church of San Antonio… It is highly recommended to visit the beautiful castle of Miramar, located only a few kilometers North of the city. Accommodation in Trieste.
Day 2: TRIESTE – KOPER – IZOLA (35 km)
Breakfast. We leave in direction of Slovenian coast. We make a stop in the city of Koper, a very important city at the time of the Venetian Republic. The most valuable and notorious from the architectural point of view is the Palace of the Praetorite and the Cathedral of San Nazario. Both buildings are located in the central Tito Square. Continue to the city of Izola through its small medieval streets in the center, and enjoy the free afternoon or take a tour around the area.
Day 3: IZOLA – STRUNJAN – PIRAN – SEČOVLJE – BUJE (23 km + 5 km)
Breakfast and early departure to Strunjan. There you will find the highest flysch cliff (80m) on the Adriatic Coast. We recommend taking a detour and visiting Piran, the most beautiful city on the Slovenian coast, most known for its Venetian architecture. Return to the path and visit the regional park of Sečoveljske Soline (salt) where there is a museum of the saltpans. The Slovenian coast was very important in the history of salt – was the largest exporter of white gold (the salt) to the rich Venetian Republic. Continue to the last stop of the day – Buje, which is a romantic city with a historic center worthy of its walls and towers. Accommodation close to Parenzana route.
Day 4: BUJE – GROŽNJAN – MOTOVUN (26 km)
Breakfast. Departure to Grožnjan, a small but very nice village surrounded by olive groves and vineyards. Since 1965, Grožnjan was declared a city of artists, thanks to the numerous events of art and artists who come to live and work here. It has a great cultural significance on the international level. Follow the route to Motovun. The city maintains its medieval character with narrow streets, circular walls and its towers. The parochial Church of San Esteban with painting of the Last Supper inside. Accommodation in Motovun.
Day 5: MOTOVUN – VIŠNJAN – NOVA VAS – POREČ (39 km)
Breakfast and early departure. First stop in the charming village of Višnjan, and then we continue to Nova vas where we recommend visiting the Baredine cave. Your route ends in the beautiful city of Poreč. Its main monument is the Euphrasian Basilica from the 6th century, which has been declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO since 1997. Among other places of interest are the Temple of Neptune, the Romanesque House and the Gothic House. Hotel accommodation in Poreč.
Day 6: POREČ – AIRPORT
Breakfast and transfer to the airport. Flight back.
POSSIBLE TO CONTINUE ALONG THE COAST.
POSSIBLE TO START FIRST PART OF THE TRIP FROM LJUBLJANA – 4 DAYS MORE.
- A package of information, self-guided circuit (per room)/or/ English speaking guide
- Accommodation in double rooms according to itinerary (3* or tourist farm) and breakfast
- Transportation of equipment between hotels
- Tasting of wine, cheese, ham and Istrian “ombolo” in Oprtalj
- Assistance (24 hour emergency phone)
- Bicycle rental 12€ – 15€/day (all rental bikes have a lock, bike bag and basic repair set)
- Supplement for half board 80€
- An additional day for rental 12€ – 15€/bike
- Helmet rental: 2€/day
- Supplement for a single room: 135€
Not included in the price:
- Admission fee to museums, galleries, caves…
- Transfer from airport to the starting point – to the hotel (we can organize it)
- Bicycle insurance: basic insurance (small, normal damage) is included in the price, but does not include insurance of larger damage and theft of the bike.
Followint the old rails
Motovun and Croatian Istria